Thursday, May 6, 2010

Men's March

On Saturday April 24th men took to the street in Sherman Oaks to show appreciation for women. A Walk in Her Shoes is an international men's march that promoted awareness for violence against women. The march focused on sexual violence as well as gender violence in general. I attended this even and was over whelmed by the amount of support from the community. There were even younger people there to support the cause. Men walked in high heels for a mile so that they could literally walk a mile in her shoes. There were balloons, music, and food to try to take a light approach to a very heavy subject. I covered the event as a news feature for broadcast. Many people were eager to speak with me, and I even got to speak with a sexual assault survivor. My heart went out to the women because she opened up to me and told me that she had been all over California, and had even had problems with people trying to use her as a prostitute. She was extremely grateful for the event and told me that she had personally been to the Valley Trauma Center to look for a way out of the situation. She encouraged women who went through a situation similar to hers to have hope.
I love events like these because they take the real message into the street to create awareness in the community.

No comments: