Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Felipe's Jouney

As another MayDay demonstration has been completed, I came across some food for thought, and it's still kind of lodged in my throat - so call me Adam, I guess. First and foremost, I am absolutely FOR immigrant rights - let's make that crystal clear. Just because most of my father's side of the family was able to gain their citizenship papers or resident status decades ago when it was so simple, does not mean I wish to see anyone denied the same blessing they were afforded. In wake of all the blatantly racist actions and propositions against illegal immigrants around the nation, I applaud Mexican President Felipe Calderon for his comments blasting such proposals as SB1070 in Arizona. However, I applaud him sitting down. I would stand and applaud him if he also demanded human rights to those immigrants brutalized while crossing into Mexico and through Mexico. Countless horror stories throughout the states of Chiapas and Oaxaca are often looked over by Mexican officials. On the other hand, the slightest violation against a Mexican immigrant on US soil is highly combustible fuel for them. Enrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario has gained well-deserved fame and accolades for its description of a young man's journey from Central America through Mexico. The book describes wonderfully several bloody events at the hands of rural police, the Mexican migra and gangs. In reading this book, it is clear that the brutality, sad to say, is ten-fold for a Central American trying to cross through Mexico - yet, Calderon has not made a public stand since he has taken office years ago. As the conclusion of his term draws near, only he knows how he will exit in regards to such issues. I love a comfortable seat as much as the next person, but I would gladly get out of it to stand and applaud Felipe if he was to ever undertake this particular journey.

No comments: