Thursday, November 27, 2008

In the land of god and man

While reading silvana's last chapter, I thought to myself "who cares about hymens?" Really, what hispanic man cares that his bride is not a virgin? I have never heard of any Latino men say they only wanted to marry virgins. I guess for me, they concept that it was bad for a woman to get her hymen repared just wasnt a valid issue for her last chapter. It stuck out like a sour thumb compared to the rest of the book. It was as if she was looking to hard to find another issue to write about and it showed. I didn't seem as genuine as her first few chapters. Why did she care? Honestly if a bride to be wants to be re-virginized so she can have her fairy tale wedding wedding night and be in denial about all her other lovers before her husband, who are we or Silvana to judge them. There lives are not at stake like other women.

I just couldn't connect to the chapter becasue I found it to be irrelevant. Now if Silvana was talking about Middle Eastern women, then I could see why it was an important topic to write about. In certain Arab religions, the woman must be a virgin when she gets married and the grooms family wants the bed sheets to prove it. Her life is at risk if they find out she lied and was i fact not pure. Her family, her father would lose his honor. To certain cultures, honor id everything, and the one who ruins or takes away that honor must be punished. This means that brides are killed and its mst likely done by a family member. Heres a link to an article where an Arab woman asks if its odd that she wants her hymen repaired becasue she is to wed an Arab man.

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2272.html

No comments: