Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Enrique's Journey

So I had the hardest time joining this blog, believe it or not. I thought I had joined back in September, but apparently I didn't do it correctly...I kept wondering why my name was not showing up on the right side of the page. Well I finally did it the right way, so here I am.

Well after all the books that we have read so far, Enrique's Journey has been my favorite. Although, after  starting Antonio's Gun and Delfino's Dream, this book might turn out to be my favorite. What I really enjoyed about Enrique's Journey was the fact that it was an investigative story, in which Sonia Nazario had to investigate areas and destinations that Enrique had been through, as well as interview individuals who knew Enrique. Another book which is similar is Jon Krakauer's book Into the Wild, one of my favorite books due to the fact that it was also an investigative story just like Enrique's Journey. Like Nazario, Krakauer investigated areas that the main character Christopher McCandless had traveled through and interviewed people who knew McCandless. For about two years, Krakauer followed the trail of McCandless and just like Nazario, Krakauer spent a lot of time researching the story. 

In order for authors like Krakauer and Nazario to get a good story, one must be passionate about the subject or person that they are writing about. For Nazario, to travel on top of trains and risk her life, it shows how passionate she was about the subject on immigration and how passionate she was about Enrique. 

The part of the book that most appealed to me were the sections about Enrique after he had arrived in the U.S. It was interesting to see how Enrique behaved and how his lifestyle evolved, from being a big party animal who drank every night to realizing that family was priority. Like I mentioned in class, it almost seems as if Enrique, along with other migrants, viewed the U.S. as an escape, a place to be free. 

If you really liked Enrique's Journey, and though it is not relevant to Latino Journalism, check out Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer because Krakauer used the same journalistic techniques as Nazario. 

- Ariel   


 

No comments: