Monday, February 16, 2009

Nickel and Dimed: Something caught my attention...

I just remembered reading the "Evaluation" section of "Nickel and Dimed," and how Ehrenreich touched on employees being fired for discussing wages with other employees and the gap between male and female earnings. I read the 2000 New York Times article that Ehrenreich mentions in the book and it's a very interesting article. I'm not sure how much has changed since this article was published, but the question I ask myself is: Should employees be free to discuss their earnings with other employees and should employees be free to complain to their employers/managers/supervisors if they believe they have a problem with their earnings and if they believe they are not being treated the same as their male workers WITHOUT getting fired?

I never encountered any problems or witnessed any employees getting in trouble or fired for discussing their earnings to one another in retail stores I used to work in, but I remember people being very hush hush when it came to talking about wages and wanting a raise.

Here is the link to the article if anyone is interested to look at: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F05E3DF173DF93BA15754C0A9669C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1

No comments: