Monday, January 26, 2009

First Impressions of "Nickel and Dimed"

After reading the introduction and first chapter of "Nickel and Dimed," I don't think I would have made it the first day in trying to make a living with minimum wage and just going out there on my own, trying to find affordable housing and purposely find a low paid job knowing the amount of education I have and spending two years to find out if I can survive on wages available to the unskilled. Ehrenreich admitted she cheated a little, but if I were the one writing the article and book, I wouldn't have survived and would have cheated through the whole experience.

I hope the rest of you enjoyed reading the first chapter of the book as much as I did since Ehrenreich describes a lot about the people she meets and the restaurants she works at. What were your impressions of the first chapter?

Ehrenreich has her own blog if anyone is interested in reading. She talks a lot about poverty, the economy, and feminism. Read her blog at http://ehrenreich.blogs.com/barbaras_blog/

No comments: