Sunday, December 7, 2008

Thoughts on E.J.

It has been some time since we have finished reading Enrique’s Journey, but the book and story are still on my mind. This semester, I have read by far the most non-fiction books I've ever had to read before in one semester. They say you find yourself in college. I didn't find myself, or learn a lot about myself till this semester. My last semester.

I think the reason why E.J. still is lingering in my thoughts is because it made me more aware. It made me more aware of what is going on, what has been going on for many years with people migrating here from Central America.

Growing up, I always knew someone who had come from a different country. They were mostly Filipinos who came here by plane. Their experiences although can be similar to other immigrants, do not compare to those who travel from south of the U.S. north. The journey is very different and as E.J. shows, dangerous.

When reading the book, I visualized Enrique as a boy making a man's journey. The truth was he was made a man because of it. His story gave me great insight into something I knew little about. Now when I talk to people who have crossed the border, I find that they all share similar stories. They talk of the coyotes, and the lengths they took to get here. They show a drive that is unique to them. They risked their lives in hope of making it to a country that doesn't welcome them with open arms. Yet with the border patrol on constant watch, it does not deter the great flocks of immigrants making the cross.

Partly because of reading E.J. I have found that I want to write about what matters. I have a clearer picture of what kind of journalism I want to practice.

No comments: